Investing in a good benchtop planer is a great idea and can go a long way. You will have to compare and decide which one is the best for you. The main things that you need to keep in mind are power, efficiency, and portability.
The Delta 22-555 is one of the best benchtop planers. Mostly used for smaller projects, the planer is a powerful and efficient tool. It is easily portable and has been designed for durability and precision. Another reason to purchase this planer is that it comes from a very reliable and established brand that is Delta.
Features of the Delta 22-555 benchtop planer
The planer has a small but powerful 15-amp motor and weighs 58 pounds with dimensions of 21-5/8 x 23-5/8 x 20-1/8 inches. It can work with a board that is 13 inches wide and 6 inches thick, making it one of its important features. The maximum cut depth of the planer is 3/32 inches. It is built with 4 columns to improve stability while working.
The Delta 22-555 has an open design. Unlike the other benchtop planers, which seem to be compact, this one is not. It allows you to work easily. It has an impressive feed rate of 28 feet per minute. The model includes dust ports that help to clear the mess of sawdust and wood pieces. It has 2 disposable knives and a cutting speed of 18,800 cuts per minute. It ensures smooth and accurate cuts.
It is included in a low price range with a limited 5- year warranty. The provisions of infeed and outfeed tables avoid sniping to some extent. As the planer is light, it is easily portable and can be easily stored, it is a great option for woodwork in a small shop or home projects. Other than these, the Delta 22-55 has added features that make it an excellent benchtop planer.
This planer has an overload button that prevents it from overheating. If your machine gets overheated, then it can damage the motor.
Reversible dust ports
The Delta 22-555 has a great dust collection system that does not mess up your work station. Added to that, the ports are reversible, giving you the freedom to collect the dust from either side of the planer.
The planer comes with a tool storage compartment. This can prove to be useful while making adjustments and using the device.
The infeed and outfeed rollers have a protective coating of Nitrile Synthetic rubber. It makes rolling the tables in and out easier and increases durability.
Effective knife system
The planer has two dual-edge disposable knives and a quick change knife system. This lets you replace the knives easily without any complicated tools. Besides, the knives are not pricey.
Pros and Cons of the Delta 22-555 benchtop planer
- Possesses a powerful 15-amp motor
- Ensures smooth, precise and sharp cuts
- The 4 column system provides stability
- Value for money
- Dual edge disposable knives that are easy to change
- Knives are tucked away for safety purposes
- The open design enables the user to make quick adjustments and see what is happening
- It is beginner-friendly and easy to use
- Portable and easy to store
- Overload button prevents motor damage
- Can collect dust from the left or right side of the dust port
- Protective coating for the rollers of the trays for durability
- Attached tool storage compartment
- 5-year warranty
- Not suitable for heavy and professional use
- Cannot work with some kinds of wood like hardwood
- Creates a loud rattling noise
- The finish is not excellent because of only 2 knives
- The infeed and outfeed tables are not enough to support longer pieces of wood.
- Usage over a long period can cause sniping
The Delta 22-555 is recommended by many users. The powerful motor and many other added quirks are liked by people. Here are some other options that you can go through to make a good decision.
- DeWalt DW735X Benchtop Planer
- Makita Planer Benchtop Planer
- DeWalt DW734 Benchtop Planer
- WEN 6552 Benchtop Planer
If you are a beginner and are looking for a good wood planer for small projects, then the Delta 22-555 can be the one for you. It is not costly and has a powerful motor that ensures smooth and accurate cuts. It is safe to use and durable if you use it carefully.
The open design, 4 column stability, and portability make the Delta 22-555 a great option. If you are looking for a planer for industrial use, then this might not be sufficient. Overall, even though this planer has a few cons, it gets the job done. It is a good buy within the price range and does not require a lot of maintenance.